Ways to give
Why give through CFS
Giving should be a rewarding experience. At CFS, we can help find the best way to give back by matching your giving goals with the needs of the community.
- Philanthropy advisory
Reach your philanthropic goals with a tailored strategy to optimise the scope of your giving. With our knowledge of community needs and giving opportunities, CFS can help translate your interests and goals into a defined plan.
- Managing your fund
We are here to help make the giving process simple and seamless for you. By centralising your giving with CFS, you can leave all the administrative work to us, save on legal expenses and enjoy tax deductions upfront. You will also receive half-yearly statements tracking incoming donations to your fund and outgoing disbursements to charities.
- Safeguarding your grants
CFS maps your interests and preferred causes, then helps navigate the charitable sector by bridging your giving intent to funding needs within the community. As your trusted partner in philanthropy, we ensure that all grants are made with high levels of care and accountability involving charity due diligence, programme evaluation, targeted grantmaking and outcomes reporting.
- Keeping you engaged
For a more hands-on giving experience, we keep you engaged throughout the giving process. You can opt to visit the charities you are supporting, and if you are interested, there will be opportunities for you to deepen your understanding of the local landscape.
Types of causes and support
What would you like to achieve? Whom would you like to help? How would you like to do this? For a rewarding giving experience, it is important to find the best fit – taking into consideration your charitable goals and the desired impact.
Some causes include access to education, equal opportunity for all, social mobility, physical and mental health, environmental sustainability and arts & heritage.
There are various ways to contribute to a cause – these include funding bursaries, scholarships, programmes, pilot projects, capacity building or general operating support.
Types of gifts
You may give to honour your family, values, business ethos or heritage. Your giving may even be inspired by a life experience or a wish to create a legacy.
CFS has devised several ways for you to bring your philanthropic ideas to life – to create greater impact and reach your charitable objectives.
Donor advised fund
In selecting a suitable type of donor advised fund, you are actively involved in deciding how to make the most of your philanthropic money. Here are some ways:
- Flow through fund is ideal for those who want to create immediate impact. You can start making grants to causes and charities you value most today, see the results and evaluate if they meet your philanthropic goals in the long run..
- Endowment fund is where your donation is held at CFS in perpetuity and invested. Income from the investment is directed to charitable causes of your choice. For those planning to set up a scholarship or supporting a charity over the long term, this fund is a good option.
- Term endowment fund is where your donation is held at CFS over a period of 10 years and invested. Income from the investment as well as a portion of the principal amount is directed over a decade to charitable causes of your choice.
Legacy giving lets you make a lasting impact on the lives of future generations, far beyond the measure of your lifetime.
It is the best way to benefit a cause or charity that you care about now and in the future. By making a legacy gift, you provide enduring support to the causes that matter most to you, while securing your own legacy forever. You may also leave your gift unrestricted to provide flexibility in meeting the evolving needs of the community.
To plan a legacy gift, you can start by setting up an endowment fund in your name or in memory of a loved one. Giving in memory lets a family celebrate the life of a loved one by supporting a cause close to their hearts. Find out more.
A memorial fund is a thoughtful way to remember your loved one and at the same time make an impact on the community. Memorial giving lets friends and family celebrate the life of a loved one by supporting a cause close to their hearts.
Community impact funds
To encourage the community to be more involved with issues impacting our society, community impact funds were set up. These take in donations (big and small) to support specific programmes or projects from lesser known causes. Donors are welcome to contribute to these funds or partner us to develop one and invite the community to co-support. Some of our community impact funds include:
- Migrant Emergency Assistance and Support (MEANS) Fund which helps needy migrant workers who are legally employed in Singapore. It provides immediate and short-term financial assistance to these workers who are exploited, abused or abandoned by their employers – paying for their medical care, shelter, basic necessities and transport costs.
- Safe Home Scheme a one-stop home modification service to retrofit a safer and more accessible home environment for the elderly and persons with disabilities, enabling them to be more independent while going about their daily activities. Modification works include widening doors, levelling floors and building ramps for wheelchair access and installing grab bars.
- Outing for the Elderly Fund was set up to enable home-bound seniors to enjoy being out and hopefully reduce their sense of social isolation. The fund encourages non-profit organisations to bring frail seniors – many wheelchair bound – on regular, organised excursions to attractions or even supermarkets. The fund covers admission costs as well as transportation and refreshments and all charities taking care of the elderly are eligible to apply for it.